The Goshen Club’s Healthy lifestyles initiative has gained state-wide notoriety, after the Club was recently featured on the front page of Indiana Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs’ monthly newsletter. Members have been working steadily in the garden plot adjacent to the Club, and this year harvested over 1/4 acre of green beans. The beans were canned to use in the meal program, and shared with member families.
When members are given an opportunity to participate in the growing and harvesting of the fresh produce they enjoy during meals and for snacks, they learn to take ownership of food choices that lead to a more healthy and active life. The Club has also been featured in an article written by Elkhart Truth food and city editor Marshall King, featuring their garden efforts and partnerships with local farmers and farmer’s markets.
- The Club is available to kids from age 6-18 (1st grade through Senior in high school)
- During the school year, the Boys & Girls Club of Goshen is open Monday-Friday beginning at the end of the school day
- The Club facilities close at 8:00pm everyday; however, various age-specific programs and Club areas close earlier, depending on the age of the member
- Each Club member is able to enjoy a nutritious snack and hot supper every day, Monday through Friday (Special thanks to the Indiana Department of Education’s Child and Adult Care Food Program for funding this effort*)
- The Goshen Club offers an Early Bird Program, for a small fee in which members may arrive as early as 6:30am (even in the summer)
*USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer